Slow Sunday Stitching (Vogue 9057 and small handwork)

Dear Vi,

Today it’s snowing again, one of those dreary low-light days where you just want to hibernate and read a good book. You know the kind.

I don’t have anything new or earth-shattering to share, so I’ll just catch you up on what’s going on in the sewing room, okay?

I’ve been feeling the urge to sew a piece of clothing. This piece of clothing in particular:I just can’t decide if I want the two sleeves to match or if I want one sleeve to be different, like in the picture (view D). What do you think? Does one contrasting sleeve scream middle-aged woman trying too hard to be funky?”

But then, I kind of like being a little bit different…

Anyway, stay tuned…in a day or two I just might have something to show you!

I’ve also got a new quilt on the go…a Very Secret Project. But I’ll give you a hint:Isn’t this bowl of roses sweet? It’s a technique called broderie perse, or chintz applique. I wanted to learn something new, so I gave it a try. I found a piece of fabric with a dense rose print, cut out the individual flowers, then used fusible web to rearrange all the flowers and buds into a new design.  I sewed them down with my machine.Very fiddly. But effective, don’t you think?

Another thing I’ve been working on during TV time in the evenings are these little hexi-flowers. English Paper Piecing with 3/4 inch papers.I’m using my smallest Kaffe Fassett scraps. Happy, happy fabric!

Some are being made into bookmarks for eventual gift-giving. That’s about it for me. Today I’m linking up with Slow Sunday Stitching over at Kathy’s house. Pop on over and say hi!

What are you working on these days? Write back and tell me all about it.

Love,

N.

About Nita

I retired early and moved to a new community. I blog about my adventures as I explore a new lifestyle. I write about quilting, knitting and needlework, about learning to sew my own garments, adventures in the kitchen and in the garden, dancing, hiking, yoga...life is my playground!
This entry was posted in applique, Crafts, Embroidery, fabric, sewing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Slow Sunday Stitching (Vogue 9057 and small handwork)

1. Pingback: Hands2Help, Vogue 9057, row quilts, novels and knitting | Nita Collins

2. dezertsuz says:

I really like the bowl of roses, and that shirt – I want that pattern!

3. Oh those hexi’s are tiny cute!!!! And the bookmarks clever! Perfect stitching for a gloomy day.

4. Janet says:

I think everywhere else is getting more snow than we are! But we are still cold… I say go for the different fabric in one arm. Takes the top from middle aged woman’s wear to pizazz – at least in my view. 🙂 Love your little bookmarks!

5. Mom says:

Why don’t you make the top with one sleeve different, then if you don’t like it, you can tear it out and put the matching sleeve in. I love viewing your projects, my clever girl.

6. Wow those are tiny! Such a great idea to turn them into flower bookmarks!

7. Dare to be different and be yourself. You did a great job of the broderie perse and the hexagons are gorgeous. Love what you did with them,

8. Patricia says:

Love your blog header! That quilt is amazing! So beautiful! I love your hexies! What a great idea to put them on a bookmark! Thank you for sharing! Visiting you from Kathy’s Slow Stitching Sunday!

9. Danielle says:

I friggen love the quilt Nita. Seriously this is amazing work. Beautiful.

10. Marci says:

Dear Nita

We have snow down here also. Boy am I sick of it! I have been cutting logs for log cabin blocks. My Jenome is being serviced and I won’t get it back for a week. At least I still have something to do. Of course, I can always knit vests for Wool-aid or baby booties for the Preemie Project.

I love the bouquet of roses. Beautiful.

Love, Vi

11. Debbie Huber says:

Holy cow are those hexies tiny! And so cute on the bookmarks! I love the vogue pattern. Where do you get the neat fabrics to make them? Both styles of sleeves look good. I guess it depends on if you have slim arms or not…

• elle says:

Grear figure flattering pattern. Style is individual and if you feel happy you look happy. I learned that in my style class. 😉 lovely sewing projects. I am gathering clothes which are burying my to do list! Lol

I'd love to hear your thoughts!