A Hexagon Quilt Update and some Treasure

Do you remember when I started this quilt last July?

hexies in a butter dishI have been working on it every single evening, especially over the last month since I arrived at our new home.

015Sammy consented to pose so you could get a sense of perspective, size-wise:

018I does have a certain old-fashioned charm, doesn’t it? ā™„

And now for the treasure!

019This is the sewing cabinet that belonged to Kelly’s maternal grandmother, Annas Manson. We have had it for a few years, but it was sort of “in storage” in the family room, and I never actually looked through it (because it was a big junky mess).

004Until today.

010I wish I had taken a picture before I cleaned it up. Look at the treasure that was buried amongst the junk! Beautiful, beautiful vintage buttons.

011And this:

009Left over from Kelly’s elementary school days. šŸ™‚

Jack pot! Did I actually say that? Yes, I did. And I said it with the utmost respect for Annas, who was also a sewer. I like to think that she would be pleased that I am so pleased.

About Nita

I retired early and moved to a new community. I blog about my adventures as I explore a new lifestyle. I write about quilting, knitting and needlework, about learning to sew my own garments, adventures in the kitchen and in the garden, dancing, hiking, yoga...life is my playground!
This entry was posted in Beauty, life, Quilts, sewing, Stitches and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to A Hexagon Quilt Update and some Treasure

1. Pingback: Vintage New Look 6510 Shift Dress | NitaDances

2. Carolyn Tolbert says:

I have a sewing cabinet just like this one. Since I bought it at an estate sale so I know nothing about it. Would love to know about it.

3. Manuela says:

Your hexie project looks great. I like your colors and fabrics.
    Lovely sewing-cabinet.

Greetings, Manuela from Germany

4. Mike Pearson says:

Wonderful hexiness šŸ™‚ love your adorable pooch šŸ™‚

5. tubakk says:

Lovely hexies, and a lovely sewing cabinet. I love old buttons and thing. Lucky you.

6. Amy says:

Beautiful hexies and what a treasure your cabinet is!

7. Such a fresh and colorful hexie quilt. Coming along beautifully, and what treasure! Thanks for linking to Hexie Weekend!

8. Janine says:

Y6our quilt is coming along beautifully and that sewing box really did turn out to be a treasure trove šŸ™‚

9. Judy B says:

I love, love, love it. You do good work Nita. When we cleaned out Ilmis home we got 4 full cookie cans full of buttons. May not have to ever buy another button. šŸ™‚

10. Fawn says:

I love it all! The quilt is turning out so beautifully and wow, treasure is definitely the right word for that sewing cabinet and contents.

11. Kara says:

That quilt is amazing!!

Love, love, love the buttons!

12. Hexagon quilts are my favourites and I love yours. Love that green. What a great treasure it will be. I am sure Annas would be thrilled that her beautiful cabinet was being put to good use.

13. Nina says:

Your hexis are beautiful! I love the colors. I’ve always thought that the buttons we collect create a sort of signature. I have buttons from my mother and my mother-in-law and the collections are vastly different and both are different from the buttons I’ve collected on my own. I don’t use many of the oldies but I sure like having them.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!